[Rhodes22-list] Antifreeze alternative question

Gardner, Douglas L. (LNG-DAY) douglas.gardner@lexisnexis.com
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:08:59 -0500

Hi Pamela!

   Great to hear from you! Yes, that is basically what we do as well.  At
least on the boat.  The camper is a different matter.  When camper camping,
everything is a bit more civilized, and much more 'homelike.'  I still have
difficulty completely rinsing the lines, water heater, and pump. (nothing
goes into the freshwater tanks).  I'm still looking for a better way.  A way
that will allow us to use the water in the tank with piece of mind, without
requiring a lot of work in the spring.  We'll probably still use bottled
water for drinking, but I'd at least like to be able to use the tank water
for cooking and backup drinking water without any concern.  I did find a lot
of people on the net using vodka.  Those against is oppose because it is a
terrible waste of good booze, not because it is bad for the water system.  I
just want to make sure before I try it.  I know that alcohol can attack
certain kinds of parts, and can also degrade lubricants.  I just don't know
if any of that stuff is in the water system!

--Doug