[Rhodes22-list] Todd's No Tell Policy

Toad the Wet Sprocket rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Sun, 01 Sep 2002 19:10:52 -0400

<P>Thanks Lloyd</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV><BR><BR><BR>
<DIV>Please respond to <A href="mailto:sprocket80@hotmail.com">sprocket80@hotmail.com</A></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: "lcrowther" <LCROWTHER@COX.NET>
<DIV></DIV>Reply-To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>To: <RHODES22-LIST@RHODES22.ORG>
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Todd's No Tell Policy
<DIV></DIV>Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 13:08:16 -0400
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Todd,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>My '84 Rhodes is at Holiday Marina in Mayo on the South River. I would be glad to meet you there anytime to help you measure anything you want that doesn't involve dismantling my boat which is in the water. I know that '84 and '74 may be ages apart but if you don't get a better offer let me know and I will send you directions to the marina.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I have never met the owner of the older Rhodes in my marina but Holiday Point's number is 410/956-2208. They may be willing to put you in touch with the owner. Seems like that may be the one you need to study.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Lloyd
<DIV></DIV>s/v Uhuru II
<DIV></DIV>----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>From: Toad the Wet Sprocket
<DIV></DIV>To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2002 1:18 AM
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Todd's No Tell Policy
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Lloyd,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Thanks for writing. Let me start by saying that I do appreciate the hoop jumpers... and teenage son hoisters :-) who have helped me out.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>To answer the two question you forwarded.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>1. I "complain"ed that I could only find two Rhodes near where I keep my boat which south of Annapolis mid-Chesapeake Bay. I live in the southern part of Maryland.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>2. I would have to get back to you on the entire hull number. Going only from memory, the number is something like GBX_____M74J__. If you know someone that has had a blue trimmed 1974? Rhodes 22 stolen, let me know and I will forward the entire number to the proper authorities.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>So having a handful of questions answered by the same few knowledgeable people is more attention than anyone else has gotten in years????? And I wasn't asking where someone had mounted the compass in their camel. :-) I try to shoot straight and not hit below the belt but sometimes joke too much.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I expressed frustration because I had spent some hours at two finger typing speed to re-type the only tangible literature, made available through the kindness of Mark, MJMeltzer and others, I had seen and about feeling I was getting the brush off by GB and everybody here on the list jumped on my head. Some people acted as if I was making personal attacks on Stan Spitzer himself. One writer implied that if I wanted literature and information--I should drop the 20 grand and buy a new Rhodes 22 and shut up.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I understand that Mr. Spitzer has a business to run, and maybe selling parts or giving advice "for free" isn't how he pays his overhead. But saying "request denied" to letting individuals post copies of literature for individuals on the internet at no charge?? Excuse me for thinking and saying here that it doesn't make sense. Is charging $25 a pop for material.. ..uncopyrighted material yet.......the make or break for General Boats? If I had the $20,000 (or whatever a new Rhodes 22 is going for) to buy a new boat just to get a free copy of the uncopyrighted owners manual ...which is a glorified sales brochure...maybe I would have been at the last boat show check in hand. Forgive me if anyone one is sensitive and that hurts their feelings. If no one answers another single question for me because I speak my mind and call 'em as I see "em, then so be it.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>There are more than a few people on this list that have done what I am doing...got an older R22 and are trying to or have fixed it up....and have gotten little support from GB. I have gotten dozens of private e-mails to tell me this. They are glad I am not easily insulted or embarrased and ask stupid questions because they are learning too. Seeing how some have scolded me.....and.......trashed Roger for his concise technical answers, would make most gun-shy to ask anyone anything. I guess I am also a little bit "too engineer anal" because I was overly concerned with getting my boat back into the standard configuration as far an rigging and rudder, etc. when no such animal exists. Luckily there are some fine people out there that actually know more about boats and the R22 than how to unfurl the main an d pop open a Budweiser and aren't afraid to share or straighten me.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Todd, Toad, Sprocket, Insert expletive here,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>sprocket80@hotmail.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>P.S. If anyone needs a sense of humor let me know...I can loan them mine....for $25
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: "lcrowther"
<DIV></DIV>Reply-To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>To: "New Rhodes22 List"
<DIV></DIV>Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Todd's No Tell Policy
<DIV></DIV>Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 16:16:38 -0400
<DIV></DIV>Todd,
<DIV></DIV>I have been following your correspondence on this list as have all the list
<DIV></DIV>members and would like to offer the following comments.
<DIV></DIV>Two direct questions were asked of you that I don't recall you answered.
<DIV></DIV>The first was where do you live. You complain that you have found a few
<DIV></DIV>Rhodes22s in marina/s near you but would not go on another persons boat
<DIV></DIV>without their permission. In my marina there are two Rhodes22s. One was
<DIV></DIV>made in the seventies, mine is a mid-eighties version. I have shown my boat
<DIV></DIV>to a couple of people who indicated an interest in looking. Maybe mine is
<DIV></DIV>one of the ones you found but how would I know.
<DIV></DIV>The second direct question I missed the answer to was your boat serial
<DIV></DIV>number. I see that you have finally seen fit to share the first three
<DIV></DIV>letters of that number. Assuming the boat isn't hot, the full number
<DIV></DIV>includes the year of manufacture. This number will encourage people with
<DIV></DIV>boats built in that time frame to try to help you, i.e., I know my boat
<DIV></DIV>doesn't have a new style centerboard because it was built before they became
<DIV></DIV>the daily special. While I find these options interesting, if I wanted to
<DIV></DIV>know about my boat this would add little to my knowledge.
<DIV></DIV>I am amazed at the hoops the members of this list have jumped through for
<DIV></DIV>you. You have received more attention that anyone in the three years I have
<DIV></DIV>been following this list. Not that I would expect any less from the members
<DIV></DIV>of the list, but I have gotten use to people here who share rather than play
<DIV></DIV>poker with such a knowledgeable group.
<DIV></DIV>That being said, I wish you the best of luck in your boat rebuilding
<DIV></DIV>efforts.
<DIV></DIV>Lloyd
<DIV></DIV>s/v Uhuru II
<DIV></DIV>_______________________________________
<DIV></DIV>Subscribers, send mail to this address Rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>To change your options or unsubscribe from the list click on this link
<DIV></DIV>http://www.rhodes22.org/mailman/listinfo/rhodes22-list Check out our
<DIV></DIV>FAQ pages at http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/topics.html
<DIV></DIV>http://www.sailnet.com/ -Where Sailors Get It! http://www.rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. Click Here
<DIV></DIV>_______________________________________ Subscribers, send mail to this address Rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org To change your options or unsubscribe from the list click on this link http://www.rhodes22.org/mailman/listinfo/rhodes22-list Check out our FAQ pages at http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/topics.html http://www.sailnet.com/ -Where Sailors Get It! http://www.rhodes22.org