[Rhodes22-list] Document library

Toad the Wet Sprocket rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Mon, 02 Sep 2002 21:25:07 -0400

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><BR>Thanks MJM,</P></DIV>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; You sound like a consultant. :-)</P></DIV>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Forgive me for not knowing how small time the operation is at GB.&nbsp; I would run my business much the way GB is run if I sold so few boats too.&nbsp; Lord knows he is not going to make it up selling parts in the aftermarket, especially if he gives anyone the same story he gave to me and others here about giving me "free" advice (if that is what you call answering a few questions like is there a parts manual&nbsp;and giving prices for 4 parts) and the story about the guy that test sailed a boat then bought from a private owner.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; While I don't know much about how to run a one-at-a-time custom built boat order shop,&nbsp; but I do know a great deal about customer service.&nbsp; And I will share this pearl of wisdom.....Every satisfied customer tells on average 2-4 people about a product, while an unsatisfied customer tell 5 times as many people.&nbsp; So one happy person will tell 4 people to buy your product... an unhappy person will tell 20 people never to buy it.&nbsp; Every Rhodes 22 owner out there, whether they bought their boat new from GB&nbsp;or used, is a floating, talking advertisement.&nbsp;&nbsp; Something to think about</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;And you are right...nothing is free.&nbsp; I paid for one remark about the "request denied" stop Stan put on the online literature by having everyone here come down on me and threaten to take their answers and go home and starting a big pissing contest.&nbsp; And why???&nbsp;&nbsp; because I didn't get my boat from GB??&nbsp; I didn't tithe when the offering plate went by and not I am going to hell right? :-)&nbsp; The saddest part is Stan probably didn't have time to think about it and had no idea what was being said on this list until well after the fact and had nothing to do with any of it.</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><BR>Todd<BR><BR>&nbsp;</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: "Michael Meltzer" <MJM@MICHAELMELTZER.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Reply-To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>To: <RHODES22-LIST@RHODES22.ORG>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Document library
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 18:54:27 -0400
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>lets see, we are talking about the capitalists systems here, right comrade :-)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Charging for information is nominal, like a newspaper is 50 cents(plus the adds), buying a book in a story, phone sex, network TV you must watch the avd that pay the bills, in my case I charge my clients to for answers, I do give dumb looks for free. Are you really saying that we should charge your billable rates for advice on the list, I am sure you are not going to say the advice here has no value :-), I sure I should rig a system with credit cards on file for this, Master Card, visa and Amex accept here :-) How far do you want to push this idea :-) And are you on a fade diet high amounts of shoe leather :-)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>MJM
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: Toad the Wet Sprocket
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Sent: Monday, September 02, 2002 4:09 PM
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Document library
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Stan was right on most counts.....but one. That fact that I got my boat as a freebie isn't what conditioned to expect free advice (I never asked for any services just prices and literature). The principle that conditioned me to getting a few questions answered and some literature is called the American system of free enterprise.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Please respond to sprocket80@hotmail.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: General Boats
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Reply-To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Document library
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 05:40:52 -0400
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Dear Rhodies:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>We will try to respond to your thread re some of GBI's policies in an
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>unconventional manner - a series of e-mails tied to the issue of the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>particular Rhodes owner.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Response #3.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Toad:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>We agree with Toad in his saying,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; "You are right. I should not have gotten this boat ......"
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; The Rhodes is a very special boat and the kind of buyers it attracts
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; are even more special. Not everyone can feel comfortable in this
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; enviorn and that is why the god of sailboat manufacturing made Hunters
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; and Macgregors and Catalinas. And that is why some who only recognize
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; the differences without owning a Rhodes, like a Razz, do feel
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; comfortable in this setting.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Toad says that, "The only reason I have this boat is because it was a
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; freebie,,," and that has conditioned him to expect not only free
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; service but instant free service, even if it should cause poorer
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; service to those who have paid for their boats. And we are with Toad,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; if only we could be shown the way.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Toad goes on to say, "I downloaded and read the manual for the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Chrysler...pretty remarkable for a company no longer in business huh?"
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Let me tell you a little incident about Chrysler. As many of you
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; know, we are an amazingly old company for the sailboat busines - 43
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; years old. And, an unbelievably small company for our age and the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; noise we make - only 4 new Rhodes last year.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Long after we had been in business Chrysler came along and decided to
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; go head on with us with a new 22. When Chrysler needed help they went
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; to the government and got millions to bail them out. I bunked into my
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; congressman one day and told him I wanted to compalin about a
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; discrimiantion issue. He put his arm around me and said, "we can't
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; allow that". So I explained that I was being discriminated against
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; because I could not get the government to give us money yet they gave
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; it to another company competing with us building a 22' sailboat. He
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; said he voted for that loan because they were big and we were just too
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; small to be oncerned with.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; The Chryslers were nice boats but had some major design flaws and they
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; were discontinued. If you feel that to be able to get their manual
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; free is an asset - for heaven's sake, buy a Chrysler. Our manuals are
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; also free - just buy a Rhodes.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>stan/gbi
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: Click Here
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>_______________________________________ Subscribers, send mail to this address Rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org To change your options or unsubscribe from the list click on this link http://www.rhodes22.org/mailman/listinfo/rhodes22-list Check out our FAQ pages at http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/topics.html http://www.sailnet.com/ -Where Sailors Get It! http://www.rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>