[Rhodes22-list] bilge pump

Bill Effros rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 10:34:51 -0400

Brad,

A bilge pump in the usual location won't solve the problem you encountered.
You must either install multiple bilge pumps--how many is Michael up to
now?--or store the boat further forward on the trailer, and keep the trailer
level.

I prefer to store the boat forward on the trailer, bow high, intentionally
causing all water to flow back to the lazarette because I find it keeps
everything quite dry rain or shine, and I can easily dispose of any water
that seeps in with a small manual bilge pump.  I get a couple of quarts of
water in the lazarette over a 6 month period during the winter, and feel no
need for an electric bilge pump.  I climb up the swim ladder to get on board
during the winter, and have never had a problem.

My boat has 2 batteries, 2 solar chargers, an 8hp Tohatsu with alternator, a
Link-10 electrical monitor to know how I'm doing, and lives on a mooring all
summer, and on a trailer with no nearby electricity all winter.  I've never
even come close to needing to put more electricity into system.  My
batteries are in year 5, and I will get new ones next year.

If you go the multiple bilge pump route, be sure to consult with Stan (at
night) about testing them.

Someone, I think it was Michael, posted a nice wiring diagram a while ago.
Has that been re-posted recently?

Bill Effros