[Rhodes22-list] Bahamas

Julie Thorndycraft rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 20:53:12 -0500

about doing this trip in anything smaller....

Julie Thorndycraft
'almost a Rhodie'
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Roger Pihlaja=20
  To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2002 11:18 AM
  Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Bahamas

  I stand by my pretrip preparation advice from 2 years ago.

  If I were going to make this trip in my Rhodes 22; then, I would =
depart from the Lake Worth Inlet at Palm Beach, FL & enter the Bahamas =
at the West End Port of Entry on Grand Bahama Island.  The distance is =
56 nm & the direct bearing is 099 deg M.  However, you will be fighting =
the Gulf Stream current almost the entire way across.  The Gulf Stream =
flows almost due north @ 2.5 knots average in this region.  Assuming =
your Rhodes 22 can average 4 knots; then, you would need to steer about =
131 deg M to compensate for the northerly set of the Gulf Stream current =
& the crossing will take about 14 hours.  I would depart at 00:00 & plan =
to arrive at 14:00 the following afternoon.  That way, if something goes =
crooked, I would still have approximately 6 - 7 hours of daylight to =
figure it out.  You will be sailing in the dark for about 6 hours & out =
of sight of land for about 12 hours if all goes well.

  Do not attempt this crossing if the wind is out of the north.  When =
the wind direction opposes the flow of the Gulf Stream, the average flow =
rate of the Gulf Stream is reduced.  But, the XS momentum of the ocean =
current is converted into a chaotic chop that can easily reach 6 - 8 =
feet in height or more.  The Rhodes 22 can be sailed in such conditions, =
but it's very uncomfortable & wet.

  Once I was in the Bahamas, I would circumnavigate Grand Bahama Island, =
stopping at Freeport & Port Lucaya.  If there was time, I would use the =
Little Abaco Cays as stepping stones to make the crossing to Great Abaco =
Island & circumnavigate it as well.  A month would be a reasonable =
amount of time for such a trip.

  Roger Pihlaja
  S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

    =20