[Rhodes22-list] believer in the Rhodes

Roger Pihlaja rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 10:16:49 -0400

Richard,

Wow!  You experienced a failure in the windward upper sidestay while the
boat was heavily loaded & in rough conditions?  A fella just doesn't need
that much excitment in his life!  What actually failed; the swaged terminal,
or the pin, or the wire, or?  Did it fail suddenly, "with a bang", or just
sort of progressively "unravel" over several seconds?

How does the boat react when you lose the upper sidestay?  Does the mast
develop any sort of noticable "bend" or "lean"?  It sounds like you reacted
properly & quickly shortened sail.

FYI, if you had 9 people on the boat in heavy air, then you could have made
better use of them as "active ballast" by having them sit on the windward
side with their legs hanging over the toerail.  Hopefully, your boat has
lifelines to hang on to!  Not only would putting your 9 crew on the windward
rail have helped keep you upright in the heavy air, but it would have
properly distributed the weight out along the length of the boat.  It sounds
like you may have had too much weight in the stern.  The Rhodes 22 sails
best when treated like a big "dingy".   Keep it nearly level as possible
from side to side & on her waterline fore & aft.  Properly trimmed, the boat
can punch to weather & thru waves in truely amazing conditions.  Believe it
or not, if you can keep from heeling, then the boat will not round up in the
gusts.  You will just keep accellerating.  I wonder what surfing feels like
with 9 people on board?

Oh, & be sure to lower the pop top the next time you go out in heavy air.
That thing causes nothing but pure drag & heeling in heavy air.  It's also a
big opening into the cabin for flooding if you should happen to take some
green water over the bow.

Richard, I hope to meet you some day.  I'd love to have the opportunity to
sit down with you & talk some more about this amazing experience!  Welcome
to the list.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilbrium