[Rhodes22-list] The Rhodes 22 As An "Offshore" Cruising Boat

David Rasberry rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 18:28:38 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0074_01C2569C.627F6C00

Roger,

I completely agree with you. The Florida Keys sailor I bought a Compac 16
from a few years ago had sailed that boat out to the Dry Tortugas, about 70
miles across open water.  In a big boat such a trip would be just a pleasant
cruise in good weather. In a small one, its a major adventure. :o)

Razz

 -----Original Message-----
From: rhodes22-list-admin@rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-admin@rhodes22.org]On Behalf Of Roger Pihlaja
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 11:48 AM
To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] The Rhodes 22 As An "Offshore" Cruising Boat

  Hi Everybody,

  We've had this discussion before on the list as to whether the Rhodes 22
can be used "offshore".  We've even had lengthy discussions of what
"offshore" means.

  Well, clearly nobody is about to attempt to circumnavigate the earth in a
Rhodes 22.  Even an ocean crossing, which would involve weeks at sea, is
probably too much.  But, explain to me what's different about sailing in the
Bahama Islands vs. sailing along some remote stretch of the United States
coastline, the Great Lakes, or in the Florida Keys?  There are enough
islands & destinations in the northern Bahama Islands, each one less than a
day's sail from each other, to make for a great cruising vacation.  But, to
get to & from the Bahama Islands by the route I suggested in my previous
post, you would have to be willing to wait in Florida & the West End for a
suitable weather window.  My family has done extensive wilderness cruising
on the Great Lakes & it's no different.  We routinely pack 2 - 3 extra days
rations along on a Great Lakes cruise to allow for weather related layover
days.  Patience to wait for suitable conditions is simply a fundamental
ingredient in this sort of cruising.  Crossing the Gulf Stream in a Rhodes
22 is definitely at the upper edge of the boat's capability envelope.  I
certainly couldn't guarantee a pleasant or comfortable Gulf Stream crossing.
But, given a suitable weather window with a capable crew on board & the boat
properly prepared, I think it's doable.

  This sort of voyaging in a Rhodes 22 has more in common with remote
wilderness backpacking than with big boat cruising.  You have to learn to be
self sufficient; plan all aspects of the voyage; posses the proper skills -
sailing, navigation, First Aid, weather forecasting, etc; set the boat up
properly; plan the meals & the use of other consumables such as fuel &
water.  The whole trip becomes a series of calculated risks with contingency
plans A,B, & C at every step of the way.  At this level, factoring weather
into the equation, even the possibility of a hurricane, becomes just another
part of the process.  Obviously, this sort of cruising is not everybody's
cup of tea & it's definitely not for the faint of heart or a beginner.  But,
this is the manner in which some people, myself & sons included, choose to
use their small boats.  I thank God our society has not yet reached the
point where the do-gooders have made it impossible to play in this manner.
Richard, please excuse my bluntness, but I tend to chafe at such intrusions
into my personal liberty.  I think I know far better than you what the risks
are, what Dynamic Equilibrium, my sons, & I are capable of accomplishing, &
I neither need or want your advice.  If I screw up, then I am also prepared
to accept the consequences.

  There are a thousand things that could go wrong on this sort of trip.  You
try to prepare & plan it out as best as you can beforehand.  But, at some
point, the trip is all about having sufficient confidence in yourself, your
crew, & your equipment to go & do it.  If your personality isn't setup that
way, then you will never understand & you should stay closer to home.

  Roger Pihlaja
  S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

------=_NextPart_000_0074_01C2569C.627F6C00

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D360120417-07092002><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2>Roger,</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D360120417-07092002><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D360120417-07092002><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>I=20
completely agree with you. The Florida Keys sailor I bought a Compac 16 =
from a=20
few years ago had sailed that boat out to the Dry Tortugas, about 70 =
miles=20
across open water.&nbsp; In a big boat such a trip would be just a =
pleasant=20
cruise in good weather. In a small one, its a major adventure.=20
:o)</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D360120417-07092002><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D360120417-07092002><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2>Razz</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D360120417-07092002></SPAN><FONT face=3DTahoma><FONT =
size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D360120417-07092002><FONT face=3DArial=20
color=3D#0000ff>&nbsp;</FONT></SPAN></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DTahoma><FONT size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D360120417-07092002>&nbsp;</SPAN>-----Original =
Message-----<BR><B>From:</B>=20
rhodes22-list-admin@rhodes22.org =
[mailto:rhodes22-list-admin@rhodes22.org]<B>On=20
Behalf Of </B>Roger Pihlaja<BR><B>Sent:</B> Friday, September 06, 2002 =
11:48=20
AM<BR><B>To:</B> rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> =
[Rhodes22-list]=20
The Rhodes 22 As An "Offshore" Cruising Boat<BR><BR></DIV></FONT></FONT>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi Everybody,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We've had this discussion before on =
the=20
  list&nbsp;as to&nbsp;whether the Rhodes 22 can be used =
"offshore".&nbsp; We've=20
  even had lengthy discussions of what "offshore" means.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Well, clearly nobody is about to =
attempt&nbsp;to=20
  circumnavigate the earth&nbsp;in a Rhodes 22.&nbsp; Even an ocean =
crossing,=20
  which would involve weeks at sea, is probably too much.&nbsp; But, =
explain to=20
  me what's different about sailing in the Bahama Islands vs. sailing =
along some=20
  remote stretch of the United States coastline, the Great =
Lakes,&nbsp;or in the=20
  Florida Keys?&nbsp; There are enough islands &amp; destinations in the =

  northern Bahama Islands, each one less than a day's sail from each =
other, to=20
  make for a great cruising vacation.&nbsp; But, to get to &amp; from =
the Bahama=20
  Islands by the route I suggested in my previous post, you would have =
to be=20
  willing to wait in Florida &amp; the West End for a suitable weather=20
  window.&nbsp; My family has done extensive wilderness cruising on the =
Great=20
  Lakes &amp; it's no different.&nbsp; We routinely pack 2 - 3 extra =
days=20
  rations along on a Great Lakes cruise to allow for weather related =
layover=20
  days.&nbsp; Patience to wait for suitable conditions is simply a =
fundamental=20
  ingredient in this sort of cruising.&nbsp; Crossing the Gulf Stream in =
a=20
  Rhodes 22 is definitely at the upper edge of the =
boat's&nbsp;capability=20
  envelope.&nbsp; I certainly couldn't guarantee a pleasant or =
comfortable Gulf=20
  Stream crossing.&nbsp; But, given a suitable weather window with a =
capable=20
  crew on board &amp; the boat properly prepared, I think it's=20
  doable.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This sort of&nbsp;voyaging in =
a&nbsp;Rhodes 22=20
  has more in common with remote wilderness backpacking than with big =
boat=20
  cruising.&nbsp; You have to learn to be self sufficient; plan all =
aspects of=20
  the voyage; posses the proper skills - sailing, navigation, First Aid, =
weather=20
  forecasting, etc; set the boat up properly; plan the meals &amp; the =
use of=20
  other consumables such as fuel &amp; water.&nbsp; The whole trip =
becomes a=20
  series of calculated risks with&nbsp;contingency plans A,B, &amp; C at =
every=20
  step of the way.&nbsp; At this level, factoring weather into the =
equation,=20
  even the possibility of a hurricane, becomes just another part of the=20
  process.&nbsp; Obviously, this sort of cruising is not everybody's cup =
of tea=20
  &amp; it's definitely not for the faint of heart or a beginner.&nbsp; =
But,=20
  this is the manner in which some people, myself &amp; sons included, =
choose to=20
  use their small boats.&nbsp; I thank God our society has not yet =
reached the=20
  point where the do-gooders have&nbsp;made it impossible to play in =
this=20
  manner.&nbsp; Richard, please excuse my bluntness, but I tend to chafe =
at such=20
  intrusions into my personal liberty.&nbsp; I think I know far better =
than you=20
  what the risks are, what&nbsp;Dynamic Equilibrium, my sons, &amp; =
I&nbsp;are=20
  capable of accomplishing, &amp; I neither need or want your =
advice.&nbsp; If I=20
  screw up, then I am also prepared to accept the =
consequences.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There are a thousand things that =
could go wrong=20
  on this sort of trip.&nbsp; You try to prepare&nbsp;&amp; plan it out =
as best=20
  as you can beforehand.&nbsp; But, at some point,&nbsp;the trip is all =
about=20
  having&nbsp;sufficient confidence in yourself, your crew,&nbsp;&amp; =
your=20
  equipment to go &amp; do it.&nbsp; If your personality isn't setup =
that way,=20
  then you will never understand &amp;&nbsp;you should stay closer to=20
  home.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Roger Pihlaja</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>S/V Dynamic=20
Equilibrium</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0074_01C2569C.627F6C00--