[Rhodes22-list] Cable Ties Instead of Rings

Bill Effros rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 08:27:08 -0400

Ed,

People keep reporting rings that jiggle themselves free.  It's happened to
me too, and I don't use rings anymore.

What I do use are cable ties.  I've been using them for a couple of years in
place of cotter pins, and have been very happy with them.  I've inspected
them at the end of each season, and they show no signs of wear.  I cut them
short, place the locking mechanism inside the turnbuckle opening and wrap
them with rigging tape.  The only way to remove them is by cutting them with
wire cutters which can be accomplished in a fraction of a second.  No tools
are required to insert them, which also can be accomplished in short order.
I use the wire cutters to cut down the tails.

The result is a secure pin with no protruding sharp parts to hurt people on
board.  They cost less than cotter pins, and can be inserted and removed by
almost anyone.

Bill Effros