[Rhodes22-list] everyone talked out

Bill Effros rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:23:36 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_003F_01C258AB.BDF81800

Tom,

Following is email I sent out on this topic 2 years ago.  I now have the =
L&H system sufficiently well trained that I use it most of the time to =
dictate, and I correct using the Kurzweil system.  L&H is now bankrupt, =
but they bought and dispersed all the smaller houses, breaking up the =
research teams in the process.  The L&H system is quite remarkable, and =
there is no comparison between using it vs. typing.  It is much much =
faster.  No contest.  Still the correction issue looms large, and must =
be addressed.  The 2 systems I use share a common correction command =
system because one evolved from the other.  I can't recommend any system =
today, and I don't think they will evolve much further.  I am still the =
only person I know who routinely uses a voice recognition system.  I do =
not recommend the system to slow readers, blind people, and dyslexic =
people--everything they turn out will require a decoder ring.  My system =
now gets what I am trying to say 99% of the time.  These new faster =
computers allow the system to capture everything I say at the speed I =
normally speak.  The ability to correct is still the key.  I can correct =
much faster using my voice system than I can using the typewriter.

All of the preceeding was typed.  I thought when I started I was just =
going to send a little note and attach the email, and I thought that =
would take less time than going to the other program (the Dragon system =
that is the heart of the L&H program is much better when working inside =
its own special word processing program than it is when you use it in =
your normal program--so I would switch over and cut and paste.  The =
Kurzweil system works perfectly in any program.)

If I had realized I was going to type this much I surely would have used =
the L&H system and saved myself a lot of time.

Bill Effros

John,

I use voice recognition software all the time.

I am currently using two different programs depending on what I'm trying =
do.  My older program is word oriented, meaning I must speak one word at =
time, and put pauses between the words.  My newer program is "continuous
speech" meaning I can speak in a fairly normal way.

The technology is dazzling, but far from perfect.  I'm the only person I
know who uses it on a regular basis.  I am no longer recommending it to
anyone who doesn't have a special need.  Following is an email I sent to =
friend:

"I am out of brevity mode, using a continuous speech voice recognition
system. Boy, this technology is difficult. No puns. No convoluted =
syntax.
Once the system goes off on a tangent, there's no getting back.

At the same time, it's so close. The problem is that 95% is not nearly =
good
enough. If you don't correct through the system it never gets smarter.
Using the system correction mode is time-consuming and counter =
intuitive.
Among other problems, it is very difficult for the system to know the
difference between issuing a command, and saying a word.

Oh, well. Maybe if I stay out of brevity mode (it learned that phrase =
since
the beginning of this email--you should have seen what it tried the =
first
time around) and use it for email and other and non-essential tasks I =
can
ramp it up to the point where it's useful. "

John--

I use the continuous speech voice recognition program to compose my =
work,
then I use the word oriented program to correct it.  I find in the
continuous speech program it is very difficult to control the cursor =
using
voice alone.  The word oriented system is much easier to control by =
voice,
both in terms of cursor control, and correction.

I am using the continuous voice recognition program for this email.  Up =
this point, I have been erect a new as I go that should be "our acting =
as I
told"-- 8.8 wrong again.  This is a perfect example of the problem.  =
Once
the program becomes confused within a sentence, it is extremely =
difficult to
straighten it out.

I will not correct to their manger of this email, so you can get a sense =
of
hell off and it makes mistakes, and how far the mistakes are from the
message I'm trying to convey.  Your friend will find this very =
frustrating.

A the word-oriented system is much more controllable.  I've been using =
it
for for over five years-- (that should have been for to or five years-- =
it's
having a lot of trouble with the sentence fragments) a

John--

I've just switched word recognition programs.  I got so frustrated using =
the
other system, I couldn't take it anymore.  I am correcting again, =
because
the correction system in this program is so much more effective.  Also, =
have switched from the proprietary optimized text entry program provided =
by
L&H to the program I am actually using.  I cut and pasted the previous =
text
to Internet Explorer.  The word oriented program is designed to work
properly within any other program.  The continuous speech program is
supposed to do that also, but you soon discover it works much better in =
the
optimized program.  For the purposes of this email it will take me far =
less
time to use this ostensibly slower system.  The word oriented program =
also
navigates both Windows and the Internet better.

I guess I'm saying I think the older, word oriented system would be =
better
for your friend if she can find it.  I'm controlling the system solely =
by
voice, not using the mouse as I normally would.  This system is =
extremely
well trained -- something I can do entirely by voice.  It doesn't come =
out
of the box understanding anyone as well as this system now understands =
me.
It spells every word correctly.  I don't think I could type as quickly =
as I
can dictate using this system.

The older system is Kurzweil Voice.  The newer system is L&H Voice =
Express.
L&H bought Kurzweil.  I believe they also bought Dragon.  Microsoft owns =
large part of L&H.  The newest versions of Microsoft software are being
optimized for L&H voice recognition.  If your friend decides to proceed =
would strongly recommend she work with L&H products.  The playing field =
is
not level, and Microsoft will win.

The faster your computer, the better these voice recognition programs =
work.
Most specify Sound Blaster sound cards, although others will work.  =
Since
you know in advance you will have recognition problems, I install Sound
Blaster cards simply to remove a variable.  Maybe some other card is =
better.

I hope this helps.

Bill Effros