[Rhodes22-list] To Bob Weber: What Happened In The Race

Bob Weber rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:57:22 -0500

Roger, It was an olympic type course.  Triangluar.  Due to the slow
conditions it was shortened mid race to eliminate the final windward Leeward
leg.  I have an 84 hull with standard rig. a 155 genny.  an old main that is
as easy to shape as whores' drawers.  The traveller is the pole between the
spreaders with badly worn jam cleats(didnt stan say he is in the spare parts
business?).  The thing I dont like about the traveller is having to adjust
both sides.  A while back I heard mention of a single cleat system for the
traveller.  I was not sure of the legallity of the starboard tack so I didnt
do it.  We were both on a port tack, pinching to the mark, and he was
overtaking on the port side.  I would have actually put myself off course by
tacking and thought this might be a foul.  It bought back the days of racing
in a Force 5.  That boat had an infinatly adjustable sail shape and handled
as good as the rhodes.  I have a genoa track that starts about the doghouse
and continues aft to the transom.  Im still fiddling with the fairlead
visually noting the shape change.  Some lititurature on this adjustment
would be a help.  I wont be able to get my revenge until October.  Every
weekend in Sept is already booked.  O'well there is always the spring
series.  Thanks for your interest and advise.
Bob Weber