[Rhodes22-list] Mainsail Slug Size & Sticky Mainsails

Roger Pihlaja rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 20:21:55 -0400

Bob,

My mainsail slugs are 7/16".  Measure the outside diameter (OD) of yours
with a micrometer or veneer caliper.  Sail slugs are made in 1/16" OD
increments, so you need to be able to measure the OD fairly accurately.

The sticking may not be due to your sail slugs, especially if you've already
cleaned & lubed them.  The problem may be in the slot in the mast.  With the
mast unstepped, take the tip of your little finger, stick it into the slot,
& slowly run it along the mast.  If you feel any rough or sticky spots, then
take note of where they are.  Rough spots can often be fixed with a little
fine emery cloth.  Rough spots are also sometimes caused by the mast having
been dropped at some point.  The lips on the slot can get slightly bent or
dented if the mast strikes something on its aft face like the stern pulpit.
Bent lips are easy to fix using a small crescent wrench &/or needle nose
pliers to pry the lips open again, followed by a little touch up with emery
cloth. Sticky spots are often caused by tree sap, a bird's fecal deposit, a
crushed insect, or even something like a mud dauber wasp nest in the back of
the slot.  WD-40 sprayed on a rag or a Q-tip is an effective solvent for
removing such things.  Finally, Dow Corning make a wonderful product called,
"Slipicone".  It's available in spray cans at larger hardware stores & home
centers.  Spray a rag with Slipicone & wipe the inside of the slot & the
lips.  Then wipe off the excess with a dry rag.  Your sail slugs will just
fall down the slot & the slot will be much less likely to accumulate
deposits for several months.  I use Slipicone on Dynamic Equilibrium's mast
slot every spring as part of the annual commissioning procedure.

WARNING: Both WD-40 & Slipicone residue on a rag are subject to spontaneous
combustion.  So, after use, saturate the rag with water, seal in a ZIPLOC
bag, & discard immediately.  Whatever you do, don't just throw such a used
rag in the corner or into a drawer!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium