[Rhodes22-list] risk

brad haslett rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 08:32:36 -0700 (PDT)

All this dialogue about the risk of sailing to the
Bahamas reminds me of my one and only skydive.  A few
years ago I was on a long trip with a second officer
that was a skydiver.  We had a long layover scheduled
at the end in Ontario, CA and he was driving to Paris,
CA to jump.  I said, "if you will shut-up about
jumping out of airplanes I'll jump with you!".  Good
to my word I signed up for a tandem jump.  Basically
you strap a 21 year old kid on your back like a
backpack and go for it.  They make you sign a waiver
stating that you are aware you can die from this
activity and you are video-taped while you sign. After
the jump my jumpmaster commented, "you were the first
student I ever had that didn't show fear at any point,
not when signing, not in training, and not in the
airplane."

"Thats easy to explain", I said, "I've been married".

Brad Haslett