[Rhodes22-list] need some help

G & D Barrera rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 21:18:29 -0500

Even thought I have to speed read through this I actually like this
thread...
Not a bad response at all, but take out the "is she nuts" part. She writes
like a Vassar grad.

Glen

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Meltzer" <mjm@michaelmeltzer.com>
To: <rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 2:39 PM
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] need some help

> These is in the last month+- :-), like I said the town takes everything as
a full court press, your point is being made right now,
> The best I can tell it a strawman for simply banning dog.

http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%257E4435%257E767754,00.html

http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%257E4435%257E780710,00.html

http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%257E4435%257E780712,00.html

http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%257E4435%257E792710,00.html
(this one is great:-)

http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%257E4435%257E792712,00.html

[mailto:barbara.roland.paul@worldnet.att.net]

> Dear RTM member:
>
> Citizens for Compo beach have much to be grateful for.  After many public
hearings, Westport finally has a new and sensible
> compromise regulation passed by the Parks and Recreation Commission and
unanimously upheld by the Board of Selectmen.  It requires
> dogs to be leashed north of the bath house on Compo beach October through
March.  (Dogs will still be allowed to run free south of
> the bath house during that time as well as on all other Westport beaches.)
>
> This regulation was adopted after many people expressed dismay at
unleashed, uncontrolled dogs interfering with their enjoyment of
> the beach during the off season.  Also owners have been using the beach as
a toilet for their dogs, creating an unhealthy
> environment for children playing in the sand and for people walking
barefoot.

> Hearings leading up to the decisions were held with the highest regard for
the democratic process.  Hours were spent listening to
> everyone at the meetings who wanted to express an opinion.  Discussions
were held. Letters were sent in and read.  Both town
> committees weighed carefully the merits of the arguments and did not
become hostage to special interest groups.

> Now, a vocal minority of dog owners is trying to have the RTM overturn the
new regulation so they would continue to be allowed to
> run their dogs unleashed on ALL of Compo Beach during the off season.
These dog owners have access to at least five areas in town
> to let their dogs run unleashed, including all three other Westport
beaches as well as south of the bath house on Compo.

> For good reason, there is not one beach community in Connecticut other
than Westport which allows dog owners to let their dogs run
> unleashed anywhere on its public beaches.  All along the Connecticut
shoreline, only two other communities even allow dogs to put a
> foot in the sand, and the dogs must be leashed at all times and under
control.  Dogs are restricted from public beaches all up and
> down the coast.  They are not allowed to run unleashed in malls, in towns,
in any public areas.  No amount of dubious reasoning can
> change the fact that it is unacceptable for dogs to run unleashed in
public places.

> Compo beach is for ALL Westporters to enjoy, young and old.  We all should
support our town's effort to take back Compo beach for
> the enjoyment of everyone year-round.  Westport must not bow further to a
strident minority with a highly self serving interest at
> the expense of other citizens here.
>
> "Citizens for Compo Beach" have tried to be conciliatory.  Most object
wholeheartedly to allowing dogs on the beach at all, but are
> willing for now to ask the RTM to uphold the new regulation, which gives
at least some relief from from highly charged dog owners'
> insistence on taking over the whole beach for their selfish pursuits.
>
> Readers are urged to email, phone or write their RTM representatives
without delay with the following message: "We support the new
> dog regulation at Compo beach."  DO IT NOW and give your name and address.
Try to attend the full RTM meeting at town hall on
> October 1 at 8PM to show your support.  Interim meetings are scheduled
before then and are also open to the public.   One is on
> September 23rd at 8PM in town hall.
>
> Thank you for your careful consideration of this matter.
>
> Sincerely,
> Barbara Paul
> 8 Ellery Lane
> Westport, CT 06880
>
> From mjm to the person who sent this:
> A couple of things come to mind reading her statement;
>
> 1)many people for it, I heard is was more like 10:1 speaking
against(someone have a better idea), or is she simply trying to mislead
> people
>
> 2)a democratic process, is the will of the people, not patronizing them
sitting though it.

> 3)first off she is only talking about the leash part, she has misstated
the rest or omitted the reset of it,

> 4)is she nuts, who walk bar footed in the winter, Does she even go their?,
or is she simply trying to mislead people

> 5)common sense tells people geese, seagull and the sound itself are the
real problem, is she simply trying to mislead people

> 6)"south of the bath house" this has me bothered, for a couple of reason:
>
>     a)the sandbar prevent the dogs from swimming
>
>     b)we can not get from the parking(the no mans land of the boardwalk,
volleyball courts)

>     c)we are being press against the house their, is her agenda to get us
complexly banned next round

> 7)Unintended consequents:the "compromise" for Winslow created a font
section that is rally used and east section of the fence that
> never used, it pushed us into to tight of an area that now is rock screen
and muddy or we can take your changes with ticks in the
> woods, it obvious for any RTM member to verify themselves on a simple
visit, what damage is going to be caused by forcing us into to
> tight an area, does an EPA study needed or will dog simple be banned?
>
> 8)Sherwood seem to be the only state beach that allows dogs? anyone know
the history, or could it be that the people of Westport
> have always walked their do on the beach?
>
> 9)check http://www.tidalflats.com/Dog_Beaches.html, I have not been able
to check all of ct, she played fast and loose with the
> other facts, but a case can be made that this is not usual and since when
has Westport been afraid of "being a special place"

> 10) is Citizens for Compo Beach" a NIMBY Group? who are they or is their
mission to simply drive people off the beach as an elitist
> group. I can not help think but they know the dog people are the most
common on the beach and want to drive them somewhere else.

> She seem to be forming the argument that dog owner are unreasonable nut
cases and she is the voice of reason and compromise. I would
> love to turn the tables on her. With have the first part that she is play
fast and loose with the facts, No better way to counter an
> augment. Does anyone know her history and can it be shown that she has
history of hating dogs or going after another group? Also
> when she moved into Westport dogs have been on the beach, kind of like
move next to an airport then demanding it to be closed. She
> is the one asking for a change not the dog owners. The burden of proof
should be on her that a change is needed. When I moved to
> Westport on of the reason was because the town was so dog friendly. When I
ask the realtor about dog she said, "the town spent 10
> million dollars on a park for them and the beach is open to them", the
town of Westport is breaking the social contract with the dog
> owners.
>

> Sorry about the poor typing and grammar. My only defense is it is 3 am
after a full work day(I be up in 3 hours). I filed my
> RTM/Westport news letter already(I attached it below), maybe this will
give somebody some fertile ideas to work with.

> MJM

on the beach. Where do they think the birds do their
> do-do? Next thing you know, they'll be banning the fish from the ocean for
crapping in the water. Now you know why I don't drink