[Rhodes22-list] Electrical grounding and bonding

Todd Tavares rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 21:46:40 -0500

I was browsing through some books at the boat store (bought a book about repairing fiberglass).
  I was flipping through a book about the electrical systems.  This book would give the "two schools of thought" but never saying which was better.

  I was reading about the grounding of the electrical system and rigging for lightning strike/protection.  One argument was that grounding the mast and rigging to ocean/earth potential would dissapate building up ions and help prevent lightning strikes by lessening the potential difference around the boat; and in the event of a strike, give a more direct path to ground from the mast to ground.

  The other argument was that grounding the mast and rigging was creating a lightning rod and would attract a strike.

  Has anyone researched this?  What do most of you owners here do?  If you follow the first school of thought, how have you grounded your rigging?  How (what path) and what size wire did you use?  How is it routed to get below the water line??

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup