[Rhodes22-list] Electrical grounding and bonding

Steve Alm rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 02:44:36 -0500

Todd,

This is really a well-worn subject and it seems that nobody can agree.
Yes--there has been a lot of research, and none of that seems to agree
either.  I recently read a lengthy article in Sail, or maybe it was Cruising
World (can anyone quote the issue?) written by a man who does boat bonding.
He explains it pretty well but in the end, he says that in a direct hit, the
bonding might not help anyway.  Here's the clincher--he HASN'T bonded his
own boat.

Some sailors worry about it, others just cross their fingers and try not to
think about it.  I'm one of the latter.  Injuries to people are very rare.
If you're boating through some lightening, as many a sailor has done before,
just be sure to NOT hold on to the mast, boom, stays, or anything metal and
you'll probably be alright.  A direct strike would probably take out your
electronics onboard but you will likely be unhurt.  I know, I know...not a
very satisfying answer but that's about the long and the short of it.

Slim