[Rhodes22-list] Another Slow Day Riddle. (spoiler included)

Gardner, Douglas L. (LNG) rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:19:28 -0400

What would the other robot tell me is the safe door?

Then open the opposite door.

The correct answer robot will say that the other robot will tell me to open
the wrong door.

The wrong answer robot will say that the other robot will tell me to open
the wrong door.

Open the opposite door, and you'll get the correct one.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Weber [mailto:ruba1811@hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2002 3:33 PM
To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Another Slow Day Riddle.

Ok,  Here is another riddle which kept me and my college buddys arguing and
debating for 3 years of camp fires.  ( I didn't say it was a very good
college )  There is an answer which I will reveal at K-Lake if no one gets
it or has already heard the riddle.  You are alone in a small room.  There
are two identical doors.  One door leads to freedom and the other is certain

death (we'll say it floods the room with parinna infested water).  In the
room with you are two robots.  Both know the correct door and you are
allowed to ask just 1 question.  Not one question to each robot but just one

question.  The quirk comes in that you know that one robot is programmed to
always give the correct answer and the other is programmed to always give a
wrong answer, however you don't know which is which.  What question do you
ask in order to know which door to open?  Hint, It was a Math guy that got
the answer.  Good Luck
Bob Weber
S/V Ruba