[Rhodes22-list] adding flotation

J Cook joscook@msn.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 23:44:21 -0400

I was speaking with a boat builder in Stienhatchee, he primarily refurbis=
hes older commercial fishing boats and brings them up to custom specs.  O=
n flotation, he says if his client wants to save some money, he can mix i=
n styrofoam blocks and even those little packing peanuts. Then he pours t=
he foam over them.  =20

I've never tried it.  But does anybody see a reason why this would not wo=
rk?  =20

Joe Cook

----- Original Message -----
From: Roger Pihlaja
Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2002 8:13 PM
To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] V-berth flotation

Dear Todd,

Yeah, I wrote some of those e-mails.  As I recall, there was a lengthy th=
read involving the V-berth & the floatation foam underneath.  I don't hav=
e that e-mail anymore & it doesn't seem to come up on my searches of the =
SailNet Archieves.  What is your question?

I recommended the 2-part pour in place polyurethane foam product.  Look o=
n page 56 of the 2002 Defender Marine Buyers Guide.  The product provides=
 4.8 cubic feet foam/gal of premix.  Defender will sell you as little as =
1 qt (2 pts of Part A & B) or as much as 10 gal (5 gal of Part A & B) of =
premix.  Parts A & B are mixed together for 30 sec until the liquid turns=
 milky.  Then, you rapidly pour the mixture into the void space to be fil=
led.  The mixture will expand & cure tack free in 1 minute, with final cu=
re in 20 minutes.  To fill a large space, small batches can be poured rig=
ht on top of one another.  If a new batch of foam is poured on top of an =
old batch before final cure, then the bond between the two batches will b=
e undetectable.

Before tack free cure, the mixture will flow.  So, to do a V-berth, the a=
rea would need to be sealed off so the liquid would not run down into the=
 bilge.

This product is not real toxic, but I would still use a Tyvek suit, rubbe=
r gloves, eye protection & as much ventillation as I could get flowing th=
ru the boat.  =20

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium
----- Original Message ----- =20