[Rhodes22-list] Stan--Line Replacement Kit

Bill Effros bill@effros.com
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 11:31:47 -0400

Stan, In response to Anne's email,

My boat is ending its 5th season with the original running rigging, and I
knew I should have replaced it all last year.  I seem to have gotten away
with it, at least so far this season, but I know the only reason I didn't
start replacing when I should have was not knowing the exact length of this
line or that one.  Buying new line is like the world's oldest shoe store
joke:

"Six is my size, but seven feels so good I buy an eight."

We all buy more than we need, to ensure we did not measure short.  This is
costly because that line ain't cheap.  It seems to me you could sell
complete line replacement kits to owners for less than we could buy them at
stores.  You buy the line in bulk, you know the right sizes and lengths for
each line, and even if you charged as much as going to West Marine, the
convenience factor, coupled with buying shorter lengths, would tip the
balance.  The shipping cost for many of us would be substantially less than
the sales tax.

I need a complete set, and would happily buy it from you if you are
interested in providing it.  Are line colors standard?  The lines you
originally provided are so easy to distinguish, you just have to say "Grab
the blue one!" and even someone who has never been on a boat before can help
out in an emergency.

I'm sure there are people on the list who will gladly write instructions for
exactly how to replace all of the lines.

Bill Effros