[Rhodes22-list] adding flotation

Roland.John roland.john@ensco.com
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:32:46 -0400

Re peanuts - a lot of shippers are starting to use bio-degradeable peanuts for packing material.  They dissolve in water.  It's a good idea to test them before use as well.  J Roland

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis J Sitler [mailto:djsitler@gmpexpress.net]
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 6:44 PM
To: The Rhodes 22 mail list
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] adding flotation

Hi Joe,
Just a caution from experience. I had gathered a lot of polyurethane packing
foam to put in my v-berth. Before I put it in I put some in water,good
thing, it made a good sponge. The kind of polyurethane foam that goes in
boats is closed cell, which means it don't absorb water, important for
floatation. I'm not sure about peanuts but be sure of what you put in. It
cost me around $150 to pour foam and it took away any guessing. If I should
ever need it, I figure I will have enough to worry about, besides if it the
floatation is the right stuff.

Denny,
1974 R22 Gossamer Wing
Berwick, PA