[Rhodes22-list] the dog story continues

Michael Meltzer mjm@michaelmeltzer.com
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:34:09 -0400

From: Roland and Barbara Paul =
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 11:27 AM
To: chennessy@bcnnew.com; minuteman@ctcentral.com; =
bankside@juno.com; mjslez@juno.com; saulhaffner@hotmail.com; =
recyclerron@aol.com; flynnamflynn@aol.com; garvelh@cs.com; =
jgklinge@aol.com; LSRomeMD@worldnet.att.net; rubin@snet.net; =
sailfiend@aol.com; donniebrk@aol.com; joseloff@optonline.net; =
wfmeyer@optonline.net; reartm@aol.com; wcclois@webquill.com; =
Mary.Moers.Wenig@quinnipiac.edu
Subject: new dog regulation

=20

The new dog regulation is widely appreciated and should be upheld by the =
RTM.  However, there is an opportunity to make it better, that is, to =
require leashing all along the beach.   We all would agree that many =
people's favorite recreational activities come at unacceptable costs to =
the general public. Nude swimming, for example, some people's favorite =
recreational activity, may offend many people's sensibilities. There is =
no designated area for that special interest group on any of =
Connecticut's public beaches, including Westport's. People must wear =
bathing suits on all parts of the beach so that the general public will =
not feel constrained from using any part of the beach.=20
Overnight camping, some people's favorite recreational activity, is not =
given a designated area on small town beaches, including Westport's. =
That activity could produce unacceptable noise and litter and constrain =
the general public from using that area. People can sleep there during =
the day without setting up camp there.

Boisterous beer parties, which some people consider a favorite =
recreation, may seem offensive to others and could result in the danger =
of broken glass and rowdy behavior. No special areas are set aside for =
that activity on any town's beach, including Westport's, because the =
public would feel constrained from enjoying themselves on that area of =
the beach.

Dog owners whose favorite recreational activity is letting their dogs =
run freely on the beach can't possibly control their dogs from =
physically interfering with people and impacting on their safety, health =
and enjoyment of the beach. They are not given a designated area on any =
other beach in CT for their special interest. Dogs are banned entirely =
on almost all of them, and they must be leashed and under control on the =
entire beach in the two towns that allow them there. This assures that =
the general public will not feel constrained from enjoying the whole =
beach. With our new and long overdue regulation, which is much =
appreciated, the general public here will continue to feel constrained =
from enjoying themselves on a major area of Compo Beach.=20

Why are we the only town to cater to a special interest group's favorite =
activity when it impacts the general public's access to the entire =
beach? Supposing one hundred or one thousand people pressed for an area =
of Compo to be designated for nude swimming? (Even some vocal dog owners =
might object to this.)  What precedent would there be in Westport to =
rule it out? Once we have catered to one group's favorite recreational =
activity, even though it has intolerable consequences for the general =
public, would it become legally or in any way appropriate to refuse to =
designate other areas there for unrestricted special interest activity =
when there are other places where they can be carried on? Numerous =
public area are especially available in Westport to any dogs owners from =
any town who wish to have their dogs run free.   Westport bought very =
expensive land for the public, and most people wouldn't think of going =
there because of free running dogs.

Compo Beach is small and precious to ALL of the general public. Every =
special interest group will reason that their favorite activity is =
valid, God given, or popular enough to warrant a specially designated =
area at the beach. If we designated, let's say, four special interest =
areas, there wouldn't be much public beach for the public to enjoy.  For =
example, if we designated part A of the beach to one special interest =
group, part B to another, part C to another, and part D to another, what =
a conundrum it would be for the general public to figure out which part =
of the beach they can really enjoy themselves on! Those who don't mind =
what goes on in parts B and C will ask how they can get from part A to D =
without compromising their safety, their family's sensibilities, their =
enjoyment. What is Westport getting itself into by designating a large =
area of the beach to a special interest group?=20

So that we don't have to constrain people from using parts of Compo that =
have unacceptable risks to them, the RTM should consider modifying the =
new regulation to require leashing of dogs all along the beach off =
season. With appropriate restrictions on this special interest group, as =
on any other special interest group, we can insure that everyone will =
have access to the whole beach, the way a public beach is meant to be.

Barbara Paul, 8 Ellery Lane, Westport CT 06880, 226-4684

   even I get i miss the address complete = too=20 :-)

   [1]http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%257E4435%257E8646=
   38,00.html
   [2]http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%257E4435%257E8646=
   46,00.html