[Rhodes22-list] Fw: Cannon Balls

Ware, Joseph W. joseph_ware@merck.com
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:35:02 -0400

Doug, funny you should send this link.  I got one of those earlier today,
and sent it out.  Including the list, which, lucky enough Michael held it
up.  Within minutes one of the people I sent it to sent me the same list
debunking the story.

Oh well, it's worth a look.

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: Gardner, Douglas L. (LNG-DAY)
[mailto:douglas.gardner@lexisnexis.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 2:10 PM
To: 'The Rhodes 22 mail list'
Subject: RE: [Rhodes22-list] Fw: Cannon Balls

Here's a good discussion of it...
http://www.snopes.com/language/stories/brass.htm

This is a great site for debunking urban legends and other myths.
It is particularly useful for checking out stories with "forward this to
everyone you know" at the bottom. (I hate that form of e-mail virus!)

HOWEVER, I enjoy the brass monkey story well enough that I still forward it
to friends.  Since when should truth stand in the way of a good story?  This
one is particularly compelling because I'm sure we've all seen those stacks
of  shot next to cannon at various landmarks, forts, battlefields, etc.  I
don't recall ever seeing a brass monkey beneath one, though!

--Doug