[Rhodes22-list] Oceans going Rhodes

Bill Berner dblbld@attglobal.net
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 09:40:07 -0400

I found an article in today's NY Times, with some info I hadn't heard.
I paraphrase for the sake of those who haven't heard any details.

The guy was a live aboard, seems pretty itinerant.  He was headed the
25nm from San Diego to Catalina and sleeping when he was dismasted.  He
apparently awoke in the morning to find the mast in the water and sails
under the boat.  Wind had turned from easterly to southerly.  No mention
of storms.  Maybe the rig just failed.  I don't understand how you sleep
through a dismasting unless there was a susbstance abuse component that
wasn't mentioned, the the sleeping through was a misstatement.

He recovered the mast and lashed it to the boat.  He caught fish, cut
them up and tied them to the mast.  When the seagulls flew done to snack
on the fish bits, he clubbed them with his bat.

According to him, the engine would not run because there was water in
his fuel.

He did have power.  In fact he watched videos while drifting about,
powered by solar cells!  So the radio failure was obviously not lack of
DC.

BB

Bill Berner
191 South Broadway