[Rhodes22-list] Roller Furler Quick Pin

Bill Effros bill@effros.com
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 09:48:51 -0400

Keith,

There are 2 different types of quick pins.  One type will release simply by
being pulled.  Never use that type.  The other is considerably more
expensive.  To release it you must first push a button on the end.  This
type will never release unexpectedly provided you insert it through a
closely fitting washer after putting it through whatever you are trying to
secure.

I don't know the exact dimensions you need, but if you keep a few of the
more expensive quick pins on board with their matching washers you can
quickly fix the type of problem you encountered yesterday.

Bill Effros

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Bracknell" <bracknellk@yahoo.com>
To: <rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2002 9:31 AM
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Roller Furler Quick Pin

I lost the quick pin for my roller furler and was
hoping someone could tell me the diameter and the
required useful length.

I was on Long Island Sound on Saturday in 25 knots of
wind from the north. Gusts to 30 or so. I had the jib
furled to about 50 percent and the main to about 75
percent. I was surprised when the bottom of the furler
started swinging free. Didn't think it was designed to
do that.  So, closer inspection revealed the quick pin
was missing. Pretty nice sailing up to that point. Max
GPS speed was 6.5 knots even with partial sails. The
return was 100% main only.

Bill Berner, I think there are two R22's based in the
Niantic Bay area.

Keith