[ham] [Rhodes22-list] Stan, will the real paint stand up? Bill E - Clarify please

Bill Effros bill@effros.com
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 12:16:48 -0500

Bill,

The key is the waters you are in.  Different stuff works best for different
water; temperature; different stuff in the water.  Once you find something
that works for you, stick with it.

Here in the Sound at the western end, Michael, Bruce and I have been very
happy with the Pettit Ultima SR.  I sent the Ultima down to Stan for
application when my boat was new, and have used it ever since.  The SR part
is new.  I think of it as "slime reduction" because that is what it does.  I
have neither hard nor soft growth at the end of the season on anything that
still has paint on it.  I hose it down to get the salt off.  The bottom is
then as smooth as a baby's bottom.  I put on another gallon in the spring.

I have a red warning coat under the black coat so I can see any place that
has worn through the top coat.

My boat is moored in the narrow opening of a large cove where there is an 8
foot tidal variation and water rushing in and out all day, every day.  The
water does more ablating when I'm moored than when I'm moving.  That is why
I always apply a thick coat or two.  For $160 a year I completely solve my
problem.

Here, again, I fall back to my old standby "If it ain't broke, don't fix
it."

Bill Effros