[Rhodes22-list] Bilge Pump

Bill Berner bberner@optonline.net
Mon, 07 Apr 2003 09:35:46 -0400

Looks like we will both have t start over again tomorrow.  Snow now?!

Bill Berner
191 South Broadway
Hastings on Hudson, NY  10706

v 914 478 2896
f 914 478 3856
e BBerner@optonline.net

-----Original Message-----
From: rhodes22-list-bounces@rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces@rhodes22.org] On Behalf Of Bill Effros
Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2003 11:07 PM
To: R22 List
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Bilge Pump

While I'm at it, let me tell you the story of pumping out the accumulated
water in my cabin left behind by the snow storms.

There was enough water to justify the purchase of a bilge pump.  I bought a
small "Piranha" pump from WM for around $20, hooked it up to the electrical
system, and let it pump for an hour--until the bilge was finally empty.  The
pump is rated at 300gph, but the pump rating systems don't adjust for the
fact that most people have to pump up hill.  I pumped from the bilge, over
the companionway, and down the drains.

The pump used a minimal amount of power, (less than .5 amps per hour because
it was sunny and the solar cells were putting power back into the batteries
at the same time) and probably could have pumped for a week.  However, if
even a small amount of water had been entering at the same time I was
pumping, the pump never could have kept up with it.  Also, a larger pump
would have faced a cavitation problem in the confined space of the bilge.

Bill Effros