[Rhodes22-list] Sorry People

Michael Meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Sat Apr 12 05:52:17 EDT 2003

Sorry All, It has been a bad few days

I am sure a few of you are wondering what happened.

1)We should congratulate each other, rhodes22.org has been up for a year, their was a down side to this, it was also the renewal date for the domain, I forgot/put-off paying the bill. Up shot the DNS (how computer find the site) when down. that is why a few of you got "rhodes22.org not found". Ok I took care of that in the morning, problem(self inflective) fixed about 8pm.

2)Thursdays at 2pm I found the server which this runs on was hacked, bad news, I was cleaning the machine and upgraded the OS(finished that around 12pm, the test messages) I was able to swap software around so no one noticed, Next thing I did was upgrade all the software to the latest version(57 packages ;-). that when the list when down.

3)it turns out that python/mailman/Freebsd are having a problem with the latest version and the network libs, been debugging this for a while, python is unable to get the network connection to your mail servers open(that why the messages make it to the archive, but no futher), not fun, I have a workaround in but it a little slower and picture support is not in. I submit it to be fixed (should take about a week to fix).

Sorry

MJM