[Rhodes22-list] New Boat

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 12 19:08:12 EDT 2003

True confession time!  I've been working on a deal for
another boat for some time and its close enough to
being a done deal to come clean.  I bought a 9.2C
(30ft) S2 Center Cockpit.  The short version of a long
story is that after getting a slip space on PickWick
Lake last fall a friend of mine convinced me to look
at some lots near his weekend place.  My wife was very
much opposed to building another house (too much beer
drinking involved I think) and said "you bitch about
the work you have around here, why do you want another
place to take care of?".  Good point but I made my
case that we need a place to spend the weekend while
sailing and the Rhodes22 isn't big enough for the
three of us for extended stays.  "Then why don't you
get a bigger boat?"  Poor choice of words.  My slip
will hold up to a 36 footer but I wanted to stay with
something I thought could be reasonably single-handed
and a mast height that would clear all the bridges to
Kentucky Lake to the North, Knoxville to the east, and
the last bridge at Mobile to the Gulf of Mexico.
After deciding on the S2 9.2C I looked at about every
one on the market across the country including
California.  The one I bought is at Maryland Marina at
Baltimore and was one of the cleanest and best cared
for if a bit short on "bells and whistles"  The deal
is done except for paperwork and Coast Guard
certification and finding a boat transport company to
truck it.  I'm having it shipped to Kentucky Lake to
Anne's marina to have it re-rigged and then will sail
it home from there (will probably con Anne to do some
"shake-down" sea trials as well).  My wife assumed
that I would sell the Rhodes, "you can put that money
against the new boat, right?".  "Oh sure, I can get a
radar, color GPS plotter, and an auto-pilot".  That
was the end of discussion.  I have no plans to sell
the R22 at this time.  The 9.2 S2 will be a bit of a
slug during the summer sailing months here and the R22
is perfect for those conditions.  I am looking for a
partner to pony up for another slip space.  I don't
need help with the boat but I don't want to pay for
two slips.  It should be a good deal for someone.
Since no one has sent letter bombs to Rik or Bob yet
for lusting after other boats I assume I'm OK.

Brad Haslett