[ham] [Rhodes22-list] Michael, when you wake up.

Michael Meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Sun Apr 13 12:33:07 EDT 2003

I think you mean a hardware firewall(their are no moving parts), but yes they are their, the problem it you still have to let people
in for it to do something, it looked to be an apache buffer overflow(that's a webserver), the attack was ment for Linux which only
screwed up that passwd file and never let them in(the password system it a little different on FreeBSD), what happens is the
attacker sends a malformed packet(that gets passed port 80, i.e the webserver), that uses a bug to run a script that in the packet,
in this case the script managed to scramble the passwd file but never installed it, The problem is you never know what other things
the script might have done or left behind so everything has to be flushed(i.e updated the OS source and rebuild every OS
program/driver), check every system configuration file against the original, the startup scripts and rebuild every third party
packages(as in 57 /usr/ports).

Thier is more to the issues then just a firewall.

MJM