[Rhodes22-list] UPS arrived yesterday

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Mon Apr 14 10:25:09 EDT 2003

Don (and all),

Blue / white / blue. We set it up yesterday and learned a few things. I'll
attach a couple of photos I took - unfortunately, as I'm sure everyone on
the list is aware, it's pretty tough to get a good picture of your own boat
from your own boat. We'll have to wait until a day when we don't have the
lake all to ourselves to get better shots.

Anyway, here's what we found:

1) We put a snap shackle between the padeye and the furling drum to make
fitting and removal quick and easy. Good idea, works great, but the only one
we was fitted with a swivel. So the furler tends to spin and wrap the line
around the base of the furler instead of on the drum when you release the
line to let the sail unfurl. We'll be getting a non-swiveling snap shackle
to replace it.

2) The furling line was already wound on the drum when we received it.
Unfortunately, it looks like whoever did it wound the line onto the drum in
the wrong direction and we didn't catch it before we put everthing together.
There's a plate with a fairlead at the base of the furler (you'll see what I
mean in the picture) and the angle of the line through the fairlead tends to
bind, adding to the "line wrap around the spinning furler" problem, above.

3) The furler works great. It's quick, easy, and the sail rolls nicely
making a very manageable package. Once furled, you can drop the halyard
about half way, strap the furled sail to the base of the mast, and tack the
headsail right over it. It's a very cool setup.

4) You can see from the pictures that there was almost no wind yesterday
afternoon (NOAA history says calm to 3 mph) yet we were able to drift along
at a knot or better much of the time. We didn't check the ind angle or
anything (it was a very lazy afternoon) but we were able to sail much closer
to the wind than we could with the asymmetric. and it did equally well off
the wind.

5) The sail seems to be well-made. There's a leech line, adjustment for the
luff line, and something I've never seen, a "foot line <??>" - like a leech
line along the foot of the sail (Anyone familiar w/ this? How's it used?).
Attachment points are labeled ("Head", "Tack", "Clew") making it a bit more
difficult for us to screw up putting it all together.

We love the sail. We're looking forward to getting  the bugs out and taking
it out on a breezier day to see what we can do with it. I'm also looking
forward to comparing it to the 175% in various wind conditions so I can
learn more about when it's best to use each sail.

Mark Kaynor