[Rhodes22-list] Brad's New Boat

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 14 11:40:15 EDT 2003

Ed,

That is exactly what I'd like to do.  The problem is
getting the time off and, well, my testosterone level.
I've survived 30+ years of flying by adhering to the
principle of "there are old pilots, there are bold
pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots". I don't
have any "at sea" experience and the first leg would
be much shorter if you took the boat to sea and did a
great circle route around the barrier islands to
Florida.  The St. Lucie canal has been quite low the
past few years but I understand it is now up and it
cuts 300 miles off the trip around the tip of Florida.
>From there you could cut across the Gulf of Mexico or
take the Intercoastal.  The Tenn-Tom is mostly 7 days
of "iron genoa" to Pickwick.  I've been talking to
some folks about help with the first leg or so and if
there are any "sea Rhodies" who are interested I'm all
ears.  If I could pull it off I'd like to pick up an
instructor on the west coast of Florida and get my ASA
advanced coastal cruising certificate and maybe even
an offshore cruising certificate.  The cost of
overland transportation, de-masting/re-rig would pay
for a lot of transient slip fees and beer.  Any
takers?

Brad

=== message truncated ===