[Rhodes22-list] Looking for advice

Alex Bell alexbell at coastalnet.com
Wed Apr 16 22:27:41 EDT 2003

Alice,

I haven't read all the emails due to lack of time and about 400 email
backlog, but I have scanned the subjects and think I could give you a
bit of advice.

We replaced the Autohelm ST30 instruments that came with Blew Daze with
Standard Horizon 150 series instuments. We had the bi-data Autohelm unit
that gave us depth and knotmeter. I wanted a wind speed/wind direction
unit and the ST30 was not very good as compared to the Horizon. But the
Horizon did not "talk" to the ST30 bidata. So I sold what we had and
bought all new. The Raymarine ST40's are nice, as are the Horizon 150's
But these cost more than some alternatives like Hawkeye Digital Depth or
Uniden dash mont. For sailboats, the Horizon and Raymarine instruments
are more pratical in use.

I would suggest going with a thru hull transducer, mounted as far
forward as pratical (hull shape limits where it goes). It doesn't do
much good having a transducer located 22' back from where the shallow
water starts. We can attest to that. Our other boat has the transducer
located about 2/3 back from the bow. We have been know to go aground
with the meter showing 6' of water. I hate when that happens.

Alex Bell