[Rhodes22-list] Sails!

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Fri Apr 18 12:12:12 EDT 2003

Wally,

I need to do some comparisons between the UPS and the 175% on various points
of sail and in various wind conditions to be able to tell you which works
better when. I can say, however, that the UPS definitely goes to wind better
than our asymmetric and definitely not as well as the 175%. We've got the
CDI furler and try to make the decision which headsail we're going to use
before we leave the dock.

BTW - we, too, are able to point higher with the 135% (new this year) than
with the 175%.

We were out for about 4 hours Wed. in winds of 8-12 mph gusting to 16. We
only used the UPS on the downwind parts of the sail and used the 135%
upwind. We tried running the UPS sheets through the Genoa leads on one run,
then we tried running them through blocks snap shackled to the aft cleats on
another run. Julie was trimming the sail and said it was shaped better using
the aft blocks. Seems like in heavier wind, it did better on the aft blocks,
and in lighter wind it did better in the genoa leads - less slatting
movement at the tack. In both cases we had much more success jibing down the
lake than running straight downwind. We tried wing-on-wing just to see if
the sail would be able to handle it - it did, but performance suffered.

We messed around a bit w/ trying to unfurl the UPS before furling the
headsail to see if we could. No luck so far, though. The UPS bellies out
considerably further than the 135% we were using and, when you maintain any
tension on the sheet to get a nice roll, the UPS wants to get rolled up with
the genoa.

We also tried deploying the genoa before we furled the UPS without too much
success. I think we may have to furl one sail before we can unfurl the
other. I'm waiting for a fixed bail snap shackle to arrive so I can resolve
the furling line wrap problem I mentioned in an earlier post. Once that's
installed, I expect we'll be able to knock the time required for furling and
deployment down to a reasonably acceptable minimum.

Mark