[Rhodes22-list] The Great Road Trip

Rik Sandberg sanderico at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 23 01:42:28 EDT 2003

Dan,

To be absolutely honest, I've never tried one of those 12 volt compressors.
My dads car came with one and his works ok, he says. In all the time we
hauled the race cars around, we always had 110 volt portable compressors
and a generator with us. We also always made a point to have a good spare
tire, so we rarely needed a compressor other than to run the impact wrench.
:-) :-)

I have used the "slime" though, several times. It works ok if the hole
isn't too big. For the car, or when I have no compressor, I like the
pressurized cans. They will reinflate a tire enough to get somewhere to
really fix it, most of the time. If one isn't enough, I carry two. Mostly I
like to depend on a good spare though. I've never had a flat while towing
the R-22, but I've always had a good spare. Let that spare tire go bad once
and see how long it takes before one the others follows suit. It's one of
those Murphy's law things, you know.

With our tandem axle race haulers I found that most of the time, if we had
a flat, the tire was usually shot. So, a spare was the only answer anyway.

I also like "Safety Seal" plugs. I usually get them at NAPA. You have to be
able to find the hole before they'll do you any good though and then you'll
need that little air compressor. Once you get one of these installed it's
good for the life of the tire. I've even used them in my racing tires a few
times. We use quite a few of these in our truck tires.

Rik