[Rhodes22-list] The Great Road Trip - Tire pump

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at speakeasy.net
Wed Apr 23 08:52:58 EDT 2003

I have carried an air pump for about twenty years.  I bought it when I used
to own a Corvette.  I used the 'vette so infrequently that the big VR tires
used to go flat in the garage.  I would pump them up before I went out.  I
have since used it on my Blazer when I had a flat in my driveway, and to top
off car, truck and trailer tires.

I first had a Sears for ~15 years.  When it failed,  I bought a generic from
the local auto part store.  I don't think there's much difference.  The
Sears had a big plastic case with storage for the hose and cord.

I like the peace of mind of having it, and it has saved me a tow more than
once.  It is not ideal for pumping up trailer tires, though, since the cord
and hose are both very short.  (total <8') so you will have to unhook the
trailer from the tow vehicle to use on the trailer.  You may need to move
the tow vehicle first to one side and the other to top both off.  Unless you
can plug into the boat's battery....

In my mind, it is not a replacement for a good spare tire.  I also carry a
good tire gage, since the gage on the pump is suspect.

The tradeoff, to get small size and high pressure from a 12V pump is low
volume and low flow rate.  If you tried to pump up a dinghy with it, it
would take all day and might fry the pump.  I doubt they are rated for
continuous use.  I use the foot pump and think positive thoughts about
aerobic points.

My $0.02

BTW, I am waiting on Stan's reply as to when I can expect my recycled '85 to
be ready for delivery.  Stan, you out there?

Jim Connolly

http://www.opera.com/m2/