[Rhodes22-list] Re: Mast raising

FNuttersNY at aol.com FNuttersNY at aol.com
Wed Apr 23 21:17:10 EDT 2003

I went from a 16 foot day sailer to a R22 this spring.  I could rase the
smaller boats mast alone and be in the water in 20 min.  When we got the R22
(after sitting for a year ) we  slide the mast forward and walked it up
torwards the stern.. she stood right up held in place by the 2 lower  stays
and that was it.  While my 16 year old pushed the mast  torwards the stern
he in effect was was pushing against a tripod (2 lower stays forward of mast
step plus mast = tripod) I hooked in 1 back stay and the rig was secure. Then
we went around hooked up the rest of the stays and so on.  We did this in the
water after we had droped the mast to replace  the anchor light bulb on the
mast..........how many R22 owners does it take to change................?