[Rhodes22-list] Whisker Pole

Bob Keller r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 29 01:32:53 EDT 2003

Bob,
Let me chime in with my 2 cents. Good advice from Roger and Rummy.  I only
have a clip in one end of my whisker pole, which attaches to the padeye
mounted on the mast.  I think mine is mounted lower than Roger's, from what
I could tell in the pictures, because I don't have a spinnaker, just a
crummy little 175 genoa...  I would guess mine is mounted about 18 inches
from the base of the mast, but that is just a guess.  Tried to mount it so
the pole would be level.  The other end has a spike which goes through the
sail (what is that, the clew?) very easily.  I think the pole was going
between the upper shroud and aft lower shroud, if I remember correctly, but
it could have been the forward lower shroud. When you try it, the correct
place will be obvious.

As for the preventer, that was actually for the mainsail to prevent an
accidental jibe caused by a windshift or rum or powerboat with sunbathers or
short attention span or whatever.  Line went from back of the boom forward
through the cleat and then back to the cockpit through another cleat.

Hope that helps...
Bob K