[Rhodes22-list] Re: Help me decide if a Rhodes 22 is for me.

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 30 17:38:58 EDT 2003

C. Craft,

I am not sure if the Rhodes 22 is any easier to trailer than other boats the
same size. However the R22 is fairly easy to trailer launch and recover. The
GB mast hoist makes the mast a snap to step single handed, the rest of the
boat is fairly easy to rig. I would think the Explorer with tow package
would tow the R22 just fine.

I keep my boat in the water year round so I don't have much experience with
launch and retrieval. The first time I rigged and launched it took me over 2
hours; the second time took barely an hour. I think it will be even faster
the next time.

Regarding ease of sailing single handed; I sail all the time by my self in
heavy winds and couldn't imagine how it could be any easier. I have the IMF
main and a Harken jib furler.

The Rhodes is well built and many use for coastal cruising. Several on this
list have sailed the coastal waters off FL and can verify that the R22 does
just fine.

Good luck with your search. I purchased my used 84 a year ago and the boat
has met or exceeded all of my expectations.

Are you near KY Lake?

Wally, Knoxville TN