[Rhodes22-list] Fw: HOW OLD IS GRANDPA?

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Apr 30 19:23:34 EDT 2003

Russ,

My first car in 1961 was a 1951 Caddy hearse--the original SUV.  22 1/2 feet long--weighed over 7,000 pounds--3 doors; flip over rollers in the rear; La Salle Transmission; no sychronizer in second--I double clutch to this day--$150; then I had a 1953 Studebaker with a 1960 Corvette engine--hand wired the whole thing; 1959 Cat's Eye Chevy Impala Convertable with 327 engine; down to the present -- a 1973 Citroen-Maserati.

I'm a little older than Grandpa, and I happen to know that a "new" Chevy Coupe never cost $600 while either one of us was alive.  The only time I ever saw gas for 11 cents was in a price war in Oklahoma in the 60s--I wanted to fill up the trunk--but by then McDonald's existed (the hamburgers were 15 cents); there were FM radios; there were tape decks; there were Draft Dodgers; there were electric typewriters; "yogurt" was an automatic laugh line on the Ed Sullivan Show; "grass" was grass; "pot" was pot; and many of us were already dazed and confused.  (And proud of it.)

Bill Effros