[Rhodes22-list] Pete Thorn's Trailer

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Sat Aug 2 22:54:01 EDT 2003

Thanks for your comments and welcome.  This forum is just another great
aspect of the Rhodes 22.  Lots of great stuff.

I agree with galvanized -  seen and owned too many rusting wrecks.
Performance sells only galvanized, they said.  Triad goes both ways.  As far
as the actual quality of the steel channel, I wouldn't have a clue how to
evaluate that.  It certainly makes sense - it's a good suggestion.

Has anyone used a tongue weight scale on their Triad to determine the actual
load at the tongue?  Is the load adjustable fore and aft, or fixed at the
"trade secret" point?

I've read 10-15% of total weight on the ball is about right - that's what we
aim for on our light construction trailers.  But that would require a weight
distributing hitch on a Class III rig with the approx 4,000 lbs of a loaded
Rhodes trailer to get the effective tongue weight under 500 lbs. for Class
III.    If  Rhodes are set up with 200-300 lbs at the ball, that's
250/4,000, or about  6%.  Any trouble with panic-stop fishtailing?   Has
anyone practiced this?  Braking in a curve, hitting a bump?

Are any Rhodies using weight distributing hitches?  The photos Todd sent of
his Triad shows an A-frame in front that appears would work nicely with a
weight distributing hitch it happens I already own.  Position load forward,
load up the bumper, then distribute to front axle.  Is that a possibility
with a Triad?