[Rhodes22-list] STEERING QUESTION

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Mon Aug 4 12:49:20 EDT 2003

Bob,

On Dynamic Equilibrium, as long as the rudder blade is fully down, the
tiller can be turned full lock without the rudder blade hitting the
outboard's lower unit.  If the rudder blade is even partially up; then,
there is interference.  It's easy to check.  With the outboard motor lowered
but not running, simply put the tiller over & see if there is interference
between the rudder blade & the motor's lower unit.

By the way, such extreme rudder angles do not cause the boat to turn faster.
Think of the rudder blade as a hydrofoil, an underwater wing.  Just as the
air flow over an airplane wing will stall out beyond some angle of attack,
the water flow over the rudder blade will stall out if the rudder is turned
too much.  Stalled out flow over an airfoil or a hydrofoil involves the
breakdown of smooth laminar flow, sudden loss of lift, & the generation of
lots of turbulence & drag.  Let's define a rudder angle of 0 deg when the
tiller is pointed straight ahead down the centerline of the boat.  Most
steering is done with rudder angles of  <= +/- 30 deg.  The water flow over
the rudder blade is certainly stalled out beyond angles = > +/- 45 deg.
Because of the sudden loss of lift & generation of turbulence & drag, once
the water flow over the rudder blade is stalled out, the rudder blade
behaves more like a water brake than a steering device, slowing the boat
down rather than causing it to turn!

You can exploit this water brake phenomenon when you want to stop the boat
quickly.  Putting the tiller all the way over to the mechanical stop
effectively puts a 3 sq foot drag device into the water behind the boat.
Because the deceleration force from this water brake is slightly offset from
the boat's centerline, the braking force generates a torque about the hull's
CLR that will cause the bow to yaw slightly in one direction or the other.
Putting the tiller hard over to starboard will cause the bow to turn
slightly to port & putting the tiller hard over to port will cause the bow
to turn slightly to starboard as the boat slows down.

Remember, there must be water flowing over the rudder blade in order for it
to have any steering or braking effect.  Once the boat stops, the rudder
blade can be turned any which way with no effect upon the boat.

So there, now you know how to use the rudder properly for steering, turn
quickly to port, & stop the boat quickly.

Go practice & enjoy - Good luck, Bob!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium