[Rhodes22-list] Barient Winch Question

jmh123 at juno.com jmh123 at juno.com
Mon Aug 4 17:51:06 EDT 2003

Wally -- I read the digest version of the list, so I can fall a little behind on the flow.

However, my winches were so tight when delivered from GB, they were not useable.

When I got them apart, I found they were completely full of grease --much like someone was packing a wheel bearing. I cleaned out all the grease, used winch grease on the inside of the drum and just light oil on the prawls. --per the barient winch docs on the owners R22 site.

This made an amazing difference. I also found a misaligned and slightly out of shape prawl spring that I was able to repair. My starboard winch is tighter than the port, so if you find anything else out in working on yours, I'd like to hear it.

I also found a "how-to" on the net, where one sailor provided an illustrated guide to making your own prawl springs. If that becomes an issue, I'd be happy to dig it up again.

John
S/V Clarity