[Rhodes22-list] I Hate My Trailer

Rik Sandberg sanderico at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 9 11:15:58 EDT 2003

Slim,

Been there done that, although, not to the degree you are having.

It is not a particularly difficult job to move the trailer axle back. If
your trailer is like mine was, you shouldn't have to change anything else
to have the room for this. If I were going to do this, I would upgrade the
axle and springs while I was at it. I found that my original springs were
either just a bit soft to begin with, or they had gotten soft with age and
were not doing a nice job of controlling the bouncing. I went to a 5700 lb
5 leaf spring and the trailer suddenly developed pretty nice manners.

How high is your hitch ball??

The only way I was able to improve the loading characteristics of my
trailer was to improve the angle of the trailer to the boat at the launch
ramp. I bought a height adjustable hitch head and when I loaded, would have
it in the lowest position. I would then raise it back up for highway
travel. I could set this by pulling one pin. Also when I upgraded the axle,
springs, tires and wheels, I needed to lengthen the spring shackles to gain
some axle clearance under the centerboard. The old axle (3500 lb) was 2 1/4
inch dia, the new axle (6000 lb) was 3 inch dia. This and the 16 inch
wheels/tires combined to raise the back end of the trailer several inches.
So on the launch ramp, my trailer had a fair amount less difference in
angle between the boat and trailer than a stock trailer. I could drive my
boat on, winch up slightly and I'd be ready to drive back comfortably from
KY Lake at 65+, towing with an S-10.

Maybe Jim or Trish will comment on how she has towed for them so far.

Rik