[Rhodes22-list] I Hate My Trailer

Rik Sandberg sanderico at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 9 11:59:05 EDT 2003

Peter,

I am pretty sure you will find that the new Triads now come with the
heavier axle and springs. You might give Michael (at Triad) a call and ask
him about this, but the Triad trailer Elton had at Chicago last winter had
the heavier axle (3 inch) and 6 bolt hubs. I am assuming this was a "stock"
trailer.

Springs that are too light and move too much will cause your axle to steer.
This is one of the conditions that can cause swaying problems to start,
even if you have enough tongue weight. One of the reasons I went to a five
leaf spring instead of a three leaf spring is for better control on the
bumps. The shock absorbing action in a leaf spring comes from the friction
between the leaves as they flex. More leaves, more friction, better shock
absorbing action.

Rik