[Rhodes22-list] I Hate My Trailer

Gardner, Douglas L. (LNG-DAY) douglas.gardner at lexisnexis.com
Tue Aug 12 18:10:43 EDT 2003

Slim,

   Sorry, I haven't had much time to get involved.  However, I agree that
things aren't adding up quite right.  What bothers me most is in an earlier
post you mentioned that you topped off a 300lb scale and estimate that you
had at least 400lbs tongue weight and STILL had sway problems.  Doesn't
sound to me like tongue weight should have been the problem after that.
(BTW, you can use a system of levers to reduce the force on the scale to get
a better estimate of tongue weight. Let me know if you're interested in how
to do this)

OK, so you had to do a lot of gymnastics to get that much tongue weight.
That is a problem.  However, once you got that much weight you STILL had
sway.  I think there may be something else wrong.  Go back to Rummy's post
and check those things.  Is the trailer tracking right? Are the wheels and
tires matched? Problems with the brakes?  etc?

--Doug