[Rhodes22-list] trailering

NAPOLI51950 at aol.com NAPOLI51950 at aol.com
Tue Aug 19 03:12:44 EDT 2003

As a matter of fact I picked up a 1983 Rhodes from Baltimore and after
driving 3,000 miles in four days, arrived home here in Oregon a few hours ago.  The
trailer was a new Triad single axle model with surge breaks.  Tounge weight
was 480 pounds on a weight distributing hitch.  The tow vehicle was a 1996,
F150, 6cyl, 4.9 L engine with manual transmission.  I had previously towed by 1976
R22 to Florida from Baltimore and back and it was a nightmare!  This time it
was a joy, the trailer never fistailed or swayed and handled incredably fine.
The new trailer plus the right tounge weight I think was the key.  To measure
the tounge weight (not having 2 bath scales avail) I used a 6' piece of steel
beam (a 6' 2X6 would work just as well), some cinderblocks and a short piece
of angle iron for thebalance point.  I measured out 2 feet and placed the
balance point there with one end under the trailer tounge.  After blocking the
wheels I sat on the very end 4 feet out from the balance point.  Since for every
1 pound of force I apply downward at my end, 2 pounds of upward force are
applied at the tounge. I knew when the trailer did not raise up with my 190# that
more weight was needed.  My assistant brought out some of my brother-in-law's
dumbells (not to be confursed with my brother-in-law).  When I had 50# in my
lap the tounge just lifted up.  Since my end had 240# 's the balance weight of
480# was the tounge's weight.

Chris Geankoplis
SV I-haven't-figured'out-a-name-yet
Oregon