[Rhodes22-list] trailering

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Thu Aug 21 13:28:41 EDT 2003

MJM,

Yeah, you're probably right about overdoing it. Here's my thinking:  boat
3,000, trailer 1,000, stuff in boat  (motor, beer, liquids, stuff) 500/600
=  4,600.  For rock solid trailering to withstand 18 wheelers whoshing past
in crosswinds, I'd like to put upwards 10% on the drawbar = about 500#
tongue weight.  Since that's the upper limit of the hitch on my V8 Tundra,
to mitigate that, a WDH (which I already own) could add a significant
measure of safety, transfering load to the front axle.  Being anal about
safety issues hasn't gotten me in serious trouble yet :)

Chris just completed a cross country trip with a Triad just like the one I
ordered and with a WDH, so I was curious about it.

Michael Orro at Triad suggested "Galvex" drum brakes. Anybody use 'em and
care to comment?

PT