[Rhodes22-list] IMF Outhaul Fraying

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Sun Aug 24 21:32:06 EDT 2003

I stopped by the boat today to check on her and maybe sail.  It was too
windy to suit me with winds in the high teens but (lots of) gusts over 30.
 Call me a Wuss, if you like, but my wife and (almost) 2-year old were
along and weren't too happy.

Anyway, with the last 2 days of strong winds, I noticed that the IMF had
pulled about an inch out of the mast from where I left it last Wednesday
afternoon, and the mail was flogging in the wind.  The outhaul had frayed a
bit (fuzzy cover, core OK) on the custom block that slides in the track on
the boom.

It has been my practice all summer (with no problems so far) to furl the
main, cleat the black furling line, and then cleat the outhaul to keep
everything tight.  I then slide the block that slides in the track forward
on the boom until the IMF outhaul is tight and the upward pressure of the
outhaul keeps the block from sliding back and forth.

I tightened the furling line and re-cleated it (although it didn't have
much if any slack).  I also used tom light line and tied the clew of the
IMF to the sliding block and around the boom to immobilize the block, then
led the line forward to an unused halyard cleat on the mast to keep it from
sliding aft.

Is this the best way to do it?

Should I have been doing this all along?

Anybody ever had this sort of problem? and, if so, how did you solve it?

Thanks

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer