[Rhodes22-list] Pointing

Steve rhodes2282 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 2 06:04:47 EST 2003

In 10-15 mph wind, the trick to a 175% headsail is in
the tacking.  Tack thru, fall off to closehaul, then
head up as you grind in the genny.  Make the genny
flat.  The genny track car is key here.  Headstay must
be tight & strouds adjusted properly.  Once you get
the headstay flat & trim right; leave it alone.  Don't
dump any wind from the headsail in a puff.  Play the
traveler in the puffs and keep the headsail pulling at
all time.

The Rhodes will ride the edge of the wind if your boat
is set properly.

I now have the Schafer snapfurl furler.  But when I
had the GB furler, there was a trick I use to tighten
the luff.  I use the screw at the top as the base
screw.  But at the bottom, I did NOT use the screw.  I
use a rope and based on the wind speed, I could
tighten the luff.  I tied it to the eye where the
screw was suppose to go, lead it down to the base of
the furler (mine had a hole in the round flat base at
the outside and inside closer to the tube) I ran the
rope luff line to the inside one and tied it off.
Used some white electric tape to rape around the line
several times to make it solid & tight.  At the 15 mph
wind range, I made the luff very tight.  Loosen it for
lower wind speeds.
Steve