[Rhodes22-list] Corny energy source

Lou Rosenberg lsr3 at MAIL.nyu.edu
Tue Dec 2 10:28:13 EST 2003

>Todd,
>
>Just as we sent several space shots to the moon and back with hydrogen
>powered fuel cells on board, hydrogen powered fuel cell vehicles have been
>operational here on earth since at least the early 1960's.  But, there is a
>long way between the demonstration of one-of-a-kind, custom vehicles that
>get all the TLC and maintenance in the world and a technology that is
>sufficiently bullet-proof to be turned loose on the consumer.  The
>infrastructure to produce, transport, and store hydrogen in the amounts
>required by the transportation system does not exist.  It's kind of a
>chicken vs. the egg issue.  No one wants to invest in the hydrogen
>infrastructure before the vehicles are on the road (no market) and no one
>wants to buy the hydrogen powered vehicles before the refueling
>infrastructure is in place (no place to refuel).  By the way, the explosion
>in space that crippled Apollo 13 was part of the fuel cell system.
>
>Roger
***********************
   I recently did some serious research into why GM and other auto
manufacturers were touting their achievements in  fuel cell
technology but were not offering any serious vehicles to the masses.
Even in CA, where its mandated,  most of the ZEVs are electrics  not
using h2 .
  I found out from an  fuel cell industry researcher that the real
reason FC vehicles are NOT going anywhere soon is due to the
longevity of  the fuel cell stack versus its cost to manufacture.
The  PEM stacks are just not lasting long enough to make the car a
worthwhile investment.    Once that problem is solved  I would HOPE
the country's oil /gas companies will somehow find a way to make
their fortunes ripping us off for a noble gas reformer or something
like it.
  just my .o2 on the matter.
  Smooth sailing everyone!
  Lou