[Rhodes22-list] Corvair (Warning for Rummy: Don't read - Politics)

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Thu Dec 4 09:30:04 EST 2003

Roger,

Yes, I'm sure there were lots of problems.  I was probably very lucky, and
just never experienced any of them.   For me, that car represented freedom,
style (it was a convertible) and fun.  It seemed an American icon.  I bought
it in 1968 for the (then) large sum of $400, with a college kid's summers
earnings.

My father was an ME for RCA 35 years.  Those were the days when corporations
seemed more loyal to their workers, and were trusted more.   Now we now know
that was an illusion and that they're only after the fast bucks!  GM
certainly could have made a better car.  Weren't they just trying to capture
some of the VW Beetle's enormous popularity?  Perhaps they cut too many
corners in haste.

Lou Dobbs on CNN each night gives 'em hell about exporting our jobs.   Go
Lou!  In the interest of the stockholders of global corporations, our gov't
is dropping protective tariffs left and right.   When our steel
manufacturing is totally dead, will our govt care what we'll pay for steel
then?  The interests of global corporations clearly are much different from
the interests of the American people.  When our production capacity is gone,
what will we be?  A nation of Big Mac servers?

Roger, I don't know how you lost your job, but I would bet the farm that it
was not due to your job performance.  Did someone think you made too much
money?  Was your division wiped out?

Anyway, you have earned my respect for handling it with grace, style,
creativity and tenacity.  Good luck in your finals!

PT